Komodo Island indeed has more than Komodo Dragon to attract tourists from around the world. Surrounded by the ocean and many beautiful islands, it is also becoming the top destination for scuba divers. If you wish to see the Komodo Dragon, this essential guide will help you to plan a trip to Komodo Island.
If you plan to see the ancient Komodo Dragon, you will most likely need to fly from Bali to Labuan Bajo (around 45 minutes flight from Bali) then take the boat to Komodo Island. All year long is mostly good to travel there unless from January to February when the monsoon starts.
If you choose to stay in Labuan Bajo, you can also visit the nearby islands and beaches around Labuan Bajo, and spend the rest of the day relaxing in the best massage and spas in Labuan Bajo.
Encounter Komodo Dragon
Many travel operators have the tour service to Komodo Island, either for a day trip from Labuan Bajo or for a liveaboard boat. However, you might need to get prepared to see the Komodo Dragon. This useful Komodo Island and Komodo Dragon facts might be useful when you plan a trip to Komodo Island.
Things to do around Komodo Islands
Besides to see the Komodo Dragon, there are many other things to do around Komodo, including:
- Snorkeling and scuba diving around Komodo National Park, including in the Pink Beach and other top Komodo dive sites to explore. You can book the dive trip from the dive operators based in Labuan Bajo or from the liveaboard operators.
- Beach and island hopping to some of the best islands and beaches around Komodo Island, including to hike to the famous Padar Island to get the best overview of Komodo Island.
- Try the best authentic local food in Komodo Island and Flores, and these tips on eating in Indonesia might be helpful.
- Visiting other parts of Flores Island, including Wae Rebo Village and Kelimutu Lake.
Tips for visiting Komodo Island
When you plan a trip to Komodo Island, get some tips to enjoy the most of your trip, such as:
- Bring some cash with you as the ATMs are only available in Labuan Bajo.
- Stay alert to keep yourself safe. For safety tips on the island, refer to this useful Komodo Island and Komodo Dragon facts, while for safety tips in general, you can refer to these helpful tips on how to stay safe when traveling in Bali.
- Stay in touch with your loved ones by reading these tips about Wi-Fi & phone in Indonesia. If you are leaving from Bali, you can also buy the SIM cards in Ngurah Rai International Bali Airport.
- If you travel during Ramadan in Indonesia, you might need to keep some etiquette in mind during the trip.
- If you wonder how much to tip on your guide and others, these tips on tipping in Indonesia might be helpful.