Jakarta is the capital city of Indonesia, located on the northwest coast of Java Island. As a metropolitan area, it attracts many migrants from all over Indonesia and provides a dynamic diversity of cultures, beliefs, ethnic groups, and foods.
To reach Jakarta, you can easily fly from any corners of the world to the Soekarno Hatta International Airport. While to get around the city, you can choose any kind of transportation available, such as taxis, bemos, buses, MRT, online transportation, or rented cars.
Best things to do in Jakarta for culture and art enthusiasts:
With diverse arts and cultures coming from across the archipelago, Jakarta offers tons of things to do for culture and art enthusiasts to:
- Spend some time in The National Gallery, National Museum, or Fatahillah Museum (Jakarta History Museum).
- Stroll around the old faces of Jakarta in Kota Tua Jakarta (Old Batavia)
- Visit Jakarta's Chinatown in the Glodok area or Petak Sembilan neighborhood.
- Walkthrough the Sunda Kelapa old seaport.
- Visit MONAS (Monumen Nasional) tower for the unbeatable city view from the top.
- Admire the Catholic Cathedral situated across the Istiqlal Grand Mosque.
- Pass by the Istana Merdeka, the presidential palace.
- Visit Jakarta War Cemetery.
- Watch a music festival from your favorite singer or band.
- Have an evening walk to hunt for antique stuff around Surabaya street.
- Shop for handicrafts in Menteng Flea Market.
- Go to Setu Babakan to see Betawi culture closer.
- Visit Gedung Kesenian Jakarta (Jakarta Arts Theater) for various art programs line-up.
Best things to do in Jakarta for nature lovers and family
If you are keen on outdoor activities or have a family with kids, Jakarta is a perfect place to:
- See the whole of Indonesia archipelago cultural diversity in the Taman Mini Indonesia Park.
- Have fun in the Dunia Fantasi amusement park.
- Pay the animals a visit in the Ragunan Zoo
- Visit the Puppet Museum, the Kite Museum, or Museum Bahari.
- Take a day trip to Pulau Seribu (the Thousand Islands) for relaxing, snorkeling, or diving.
- Relax along Ancol Beach.
- Chill out at the parks, including Lembang Park and Suropati Park.
- Do sports during the Car Free Day in Sudirman-Thamrin street on Sundays.
- Play "pretending" in the Kidzania Pacific Place, themed amusement city for kids.
- Beat the heat of Jakarta in Waterbom Jakarta waterpark.
- Get amused in the SeaWorld Ancol.
- Visit the Jakarta Planetarium and Observatory.
Best things to do in Jakarta for everyone
In the busy Jakarta City, there are tons of things to do in Jakarta for everyone, such as, to:
- Go shopping in the Grand Indonesia, Plaza Indonesia, Pacific Place, Taman Anggrek, Central Park, Pondok Indah Mall, Mall of Indonesia, or even Mangga Dua shopping center, Blok M, and Pasar Baru.
- Stroll and dine around Kemang area.
- Enjoy the beautiful city lights from Skye Bar and Cloud Lounge and Dining, located on the 56th floor of BCA Building.
- Get to the nearby attractions outside Jakarta to do paragliding and stroll around the tea plantations in Puncak, visit Kebun Raya in Bogor, have a cheerful weekend in the cool weather of Bandung city.
- Try unique cuisines from across the Indonesian archipelago.