How to Get There
Getting to Borobudur Temple is relatively straightforward, and the closest major city is Yogyakarta. You can reach Yogyakarta by:
- Air: Fly into Yogyakarta International Airport, which is well-connected to major cities in Indonesia.
- Train: If you prefer a scenic train journey, you can take a train to Yogyakarta from Jakarta or other major cities in Java.
- Road: You can also opt for a road trip to Yogyakarta from nearby cities.
From Yogyakarta, Borobudur is approximately a 1 to 1.5-hour drive.
What Time to Visit
For the best experience, consider visiting Borobudur during these times:
- Sunrise: Arriving at dawn allows you to witness the temple at its most magical. The soft light of sunrise adds an enchanting touch to the ancient structure.
- Early Morning: If you’re not an early riser, visiting shortly after sunrise is still a great option. The crowds are thinner, and the weather is cooler.
The best way to reach Borobudur from Yogyakarta is by hiring a private car or taxi. It provides flexibility and convenience, allowing you to explore the temple at your own pace. Alternatively, consider joining a guided tour, which often includes transportation.
Location Address in Google Maps
To find the exact location of Borobudur Temple on Google Maps, use the following address:
Jl. Badrawati, Kw. Candi Borobudur, Borobudur,
Kec. Borobudur, Kabupaten Magelang
Jawa Tengah, Indonesia
This will guide you directly to the temple’s entrance.
Closest Major City to Borobudur Temple
As mentioned earlier, Yogyakarta is the closest major city to Borobudur Temple. It serves as a cultural and transportation hub for travelers exploring Central Java.
Ticket options to Borobudur
Before you plan your visit, it’s essential to know about the ticket options available:
- Temple Ground Ticket: This ticket grants access to the temple’s courtyard, allowing you to explore the temple’s exterior and beautiful surroundings. However, it does not include access to the temple’s inner structure.
- Temple Structure Ticket: For those who wish to ascend the temple and explore its inner sanctums, the Temple Structure Ticket is ideal. It includes access to the temple courtyard as well.
How Much Does It Cost
As of September 2023, the entrance fee for Borobudur Temple varies depending on your nationality:
- Indonesian Citizens: Approximately IDR 40,000 to IDR 50,000.
- Foreign Tourists: Approximately IDR 455,000.
Please note that prices may have changed since then, and it’s advisable to check the most recent rates before your visit.
Tips: Early morning tickets tend to sell out fast, so purchasing them in advance is advisable.
Where to Stay
Yogyakarta offers various accommodation options to suit various budgets and preferences. Some popular areas to consider for lodging in Yogyakarta include Malioboro Street, Prawirotaman, and Sosrowijayan Street. You can find everything from luxury resorts to budget-friendly guesthouses and hostels.
Additionally, if you want to stay closer to Borobudur Temple, there are several hotels and resorts in the nearby area, including the Manohara Hotel, which is right at the temple complex.
Book your accommodation in advance, especially during peak tourist seasons, to secure the best options and rates.
Borobudur Temple’s official website