Bali is one of the famous islands in Indonesia, the archipelago country covering more than 17,000 islands. Located in the equator, this tropical island has warm weather all year long and attracts close to 7 million foreign tourists annually landing on its Ngurah Rai International Airport. Besides the beaches, this authentic island also has thousands of temples, unique cultures, friendly people, relaxing atmosphere, and tons of things to do in Bali.
Why Bali is famous
First thing first, Bali is spiritually unique. It is claimed as one of the places among just a few places in the world that has the positive energy pivot, making it a favorable wellness center for energy healing. With the Balinese people as the Hindu majority in Indonesia and thousands of temples are located on the island, Bali has become one of the unique destinations in the world.
Another thing is, Bali is truly blessed with numerous beautiful nature, from the beaches and islands, volcano mountains, natural lakes, waterfalls, etc., which all can be explored and reached within less than four hours from one place to another. These places are accessible and surrounded by so many accommodations that everyone must be able to find something suitable.
Finally, Bali is ready in terms of tourism facilities and suitable for any type of travelers, including for honeymooners, family, solo, couple, group, and backpackers – making it very easy to visit and explore. Here, you can practically arrange your trip to Bali with so many options for the rental transportations, tour operators, dive centers, dining, and wellness. Below are the ideas about things to do in Bali for everyone.
For beach lovers
Bali offers countless coconut trees, beautiful beaches, with authentic ‘gamelan’ music on the background as a bonus. Depending on what kind of atmosphere you are looking for, Bali has some options for beach and island for you to choose:
- Kuta and Legian: Packed beaches with big waves suitable for surfing and learning to surf. It is surrounded by many shopping and eatery options and has popular nightlife. Many accommodations in this area, including popular ones for backpackers in Poppies Lane.
- Seminyak: The gray-sandy beach presents a nice sunset with moderate waves for surfing. This area is packed with luxury villas within walking distance to various happening restaurants, cafés, and inviting boutiques and shops. It is quieter than Kuta and Legian but also has a vibrant nightlife.
- Canggu: Surfing beach with hipster vibes among many well-known bazaars. This area is quite newly developed and has been popular among expatriates and digital nomads.
- Nusa Dua: White sand beaches with calm waves, suitable to swim for kids. Many luxury beachfront accommodations are available in this area. The nearby Tanjung Benoa is popular for its water sports.
- Jimbaran: A fishing village with popular Kedonganan Jimbaran Fish Market, and seafood restaurants with a lively atmosphere along the beach during the evening. This area is surrounded by many five-star hotels.
- Uluwatu: One of the world-wide famous surf spots, where the waves can be fierce, but the white sand beaches are too beautiful to be missed. It has one of the famous temples in Bali, Pura Luhur Uluwatu, situated on the top of the cliff facing the Indian Ocean.
- Sanur: Relaxing area with white sand beach and become a favorite place to stay for expatriates with kids. Besides swimming in the ocean, you can also bike along the beach pathway, do some yoga by the beach, or have local food in the night market. Popular Sanur Village Festivals and International Kite Festival are held annually in Sanur.
- Nusa Penida, Lembongan, and Ceningan: Three sister islands of Bali, can be reached within 45 minutes by speed boat from Sanur. With the white sand beaches, some things to do in Bali here are swimming, snorkeling, scuba diving, or beach hopping.
- Amed: If you are dreaming of waking up in the beachfront accommodations and jump snorkeling or diving to the beautiful sites just a few hundred meters away, Amed may be suitable for you.
For adventure junkie
If you are a scuba diver, there are many dive centers in the Sanur area, that can arrange the day or overnight snorkeling or diving trips to some of the best dive sites in Bali. If you like to discover some waterfalls, you might like to stay in Bedugul, where the famous Ulun Danu Beratan Lake is located along with numerous waterfalls nearby.
In the north of Bali, there is Lovina where you can see the dolphins in its natural habitat; West Bali National Park and Menjangan island where you can go glamping, snorkeling, and scuba diving surrounded by the greenery nature.
For art and wellness enthusiasts
If you are wellness enthusiasts, you will love Ubud. Here, you can see many healers, experience yoga and other wellness-related activities, besides visit various related annual festivals, including the Bali Spirit Festival. Organic food, café, and farms also can be easily found here. Additionally, Ubud is also a place for art lovers and has many things to do in Bali related to art, like the art museums to visit and art classes to attend.